Tuesday 1 May 2012

World Championship - Captain Ali Carter Massive Turnaround on Judd Trump

World Snooker Championship Day 10: The Captain Ali Carter made a massive turnaround on Judd Trump, winning 13-12 from 9-12 down to reach quarter-finals.


Captain Ali's massive turnaround
Ali Carter did not enjoy a good season this year due to his Crohn's disease. Having only reached one quarter-finals this season, Carter came to the Crucible with a good form. He won his first round match, beating Mark Davis by 10-2 to meet Judd Trump. However, Carter fell 7-9 down behind after second session. I believe not many people could believe The Captain would make a comeback.


The first four frames of the final session were shared between Trump and Carter. Trump went for 147 in frame 19 but he broken down on the 13th red. After the mid interval, Trump added another frame on the scoreboard, setting to reach quarter-finals for the second consecutive years, leading Carter by 12-9.


Judd Trump and Ali Carter
Fearless Carter tried maximum in the next frame but he ran out of position on 81. He found himself back into the match, winning the next two frames with a top break of 53 to level 12-12 against Trump, forcing a decider. The UK Champion had two good chances to score in the decider but missed the opportunity on easy balls. Carter made 47 to go 48 points ahead, with one red left on the table only.


Never-give-up Trump got three out of the four snookers he needed but The Essex man finally potted the last red to secure the thrilling victory. The Captain clinched his fist to celebrate the massive victory. Trump is gracious in defeat, "If I was fully fit then I would expect to play a lot better but I just tried to play the best I could in the conditions. He played better, he was more mentally ready and I struggled," he said. 


Trump struggled in the last few frames
"I knew I was hitting the ball well, at 12-9 I thought just get to 12-10 and he knows I'm there," said Carter. "I played some solid match snooker at 12-11 and that's all it takes. Judd just pots them from everywhere but there's more to this game than just potting them from everywhere believe me, and I've proved that today.'' "Now he (Trump) can feel what it feels like to have a nasty scar in your career. He was in it to win it but so am I."


Ali Carter will face Jamie Jones next in the quarter-finals, who saw off Andrew Higginson by 13-10. Higginson won four in a row to level 10-10 from 6-10 down but the 24-year-old held it off to win with runs of 135 and 50. Jones said, "With qualifying it is four long matches I have played now but I still feel really fresh and I am looking forward to my next game. I have played against Carter once before and I won, so hopefully that's a good omen!''

Ronnie O'Sullivan blasted into the final eight with a 13-6 victory over Williams. "I haven't had an easy draw," said O'Sullivan, who is aiming for his fourth world title. "I think whoever wins this tournament will have to beat Neil Robertson and I've got to play him in the quarters so it's definitely not easy. But I'm a competitor, I'll always give it my best and we'll see."


Matthew Stevens
Matthew Stevens set up a all-Welsh quarter-finals match against Ryan Day after defeating Barry Hawkins 13-10. This is Steven's first quarter-finals in five years, "My last final here was seven years ago and I'm not getting any younger, but I still feel as if I can compete with the so-called top players, if I play my game and score heavily.''

World Snooker Championship 2012 Results/Live, Draw & Match/TV Schedule

0 Comments:

Post a Comment